Thursday, March 18, 2010

Christ, Class and Virtue


~Tonight is the night that I am feeling alright. We'll be making love the whole night through. Cuz I'm saving all my love…yes I’m saving all my love for you.~
I know I know...You guys are thinking. What in the world is B talking about?

This morning while I was getting my children ready for school, I heard someone singing this song on TV. I did a double take because I had the channel on Nickelodeon watching Family Matters. When I looked at the TV, I discovered that the young lady who played "Laura Winslow" was draped across a piano singing this song to Steve Urkle's alter ego ""Ste-phan Ur-Kel". My first thought was "What is a 17 year old doing in a night club singing this kind of song to another 17 year old?" I was once again reminded of much television has lost its savor. Call me old fashion, but you didn’t see Rudy or Vanessa, being this promiscuous on the Cosby Show. What ever happened to good, clean comedy?

Don't get wrong, I used to love Family Matters especially for Steve Urkels character but you can't help but notice the promiscuity placed in the young girl's characters . You could paint their outfits on with a paint brush and most of the time the episodes were about boys, boys and more boys. As child, I didn't notice this but now and as a mother, I am more aware than ever. I have two daughters and a son. It's important to me and my husband that we expose them to positive influences such as God, the church, education and so on.

The negative impact the media has had on our families is exactly why I am so committed to the work that we do through GO Ministries. On too many occasions, I have sat back and listened to people complain about the explicit and sexually immoral music, movies and daytime television. On too many occasions, I have watched these same people also do nothing about it. Today's generation is all about the visual and as a writer, I understand that. I am very passionate about my writing and the stage plays that we perform. It's important to me as a woman of God, wife, mother and friend to show the world that what you see is not always what you get. People have choices. Our nonprofit is determined to show the world Godly choices. My goal....our goal as a ministry is to positively infect the media and display the love of Jesus.

I encourage you all to write, sing, dance, and act your hearts out all for the love of Christ. Don't lower your standards and don't waiver. I don’t want my 17 year old daughter draped across some piano singing about sex. Let’s teach our families about the importance of Christ, Class and Virtue.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bridget,
    I love, love that old Whitney tune...
    But she is an adult singing to adults...

    I agree with all you say about what our children are exposed to on TV.
    I cringe at times with what I hear even on the Disney Channel.
    I remember banning "The Proud Family" from view in our house yrs ago...the sterotypes depicted in that cartoon were awful...not at all funny in my opinion.
    Although my daughters love Hannah Montana, they realize that she is rude,..to her friends and father,...all for a laugh... Thankfully they do not mimic her behavior.
    I do use these TV moments to teach our values and morals as a family.
    Where is the good clean comedy on TV today?
    I'm trying to think of one program that does reinforce family values....anyone?
    Have a great day Bridget.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Life Simple (January Issue)

Life Simple- February Issue

Life Simple - March

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs