Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Shower Curtain, Iron and New Mindset


As a joke, I posted on my Facebook Page about the unusual excitement over the recent purchase of a new iron. My husband had been begging me for months to buy a new iron but being the frugal person that I am, I wanted to wait until the old one had completely died. I overlooked that fact that it was spilling water and staining our clothes. It was a frustration because it increased my loads of laundry and caused us to run late on too many occasions.

Yesterday, I relented and finally decided to bag the old and purchase new. My husband and kids were like "Wow this iron is off the chain! Look at the steam!" My husband exclaimed in excitement "It's even chromed out baby"! LOL

For years, I've battled the fear of being irresponsible and spending too much money by always buying cheap. What I failed to realize is "buying cheap" isn't always the best decision. We've replaced so many irons over the years. Money could have easily been saved by investing in one good iron that would last. I recently discovered that you can even purchase shower curtain linings that won't mildew. Cost $10...I was like whattttt?? But when I calculated the number of $3 liners that I've bought over the years plus the time I've spent cleaning and scrubbing them, it was a worthwhile investment.

A new church family and recent trip to New York have both played a huge role in the change of my mindset. I am learning that I set the standard for my household, my future and for how others treat me. If I think and give cheap, I reap cheap but if I think and give big, then I will reap big.

Thank God who I am today is not who I will be tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. You know what you are absolutely right! Our heating coil in our dryer broke a while ago and since I have been going to the laundromat to dry our clothes because its only a few quarters at a time. The heating coil costs about $50 to replace but when I think about it, I have probably already spent more than that at the laundromat! WHAT AM I DOING!!! I'm going to buy that heating coil tomorrow x-(

    ReplyDelete

Life Simple (January Issue)

Life Simple- February Issue

Life Simple - March

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs