Sunday, July 26, 2015

What Does Watching Reality TV Say About You?

Okay! Okay! I will be the first to admit, there USED TO BE a time when I was completely hooked on reality TV. I didn't agree with any of what I was watching but I was fascinated by the inexcusable and inane behavior you wouldn't normally see in the picture perfect lives of celebrities. I got caught up in the week to week shade, girl fights and never ending drama of who said what about whom. Whenever my husband would confront me, I tried to justify my watching those shows by saying that it was a learning tool because in all honesty, I thought such foolishness only existed in the movies. My logic was "If I'm going to teach against it, I need to know something about it." I ignored my husband's advice to "turn that mess off". I ignored the constant bleeps that rang throughout each episode. As a matter of fact, after a while I didn't hear the bleeps. I heard the profanity because I knew in my head what they were actually saying.
My own children quit watching TV with me because they didn't feel comfortable with the curse words and constant fighting. It wasn't until after I had watched a full season of week to week drama when I had a light bulb moment. One of my daughters walked into my room one night and said 'Momma, why are watching this? All they do is fight and cuss." and then she left the room. I immediately felt embarrassed and ashamed. She was right just as my husband had been all along.

The truth is, there is nothing positive, uplifting or edifying about 99% of the reality TV shows many of us watch. Reality TV is centered around sexual perversion, promiscuity, broken friendships, betrayal and lies....in other words..SIN. A few weeks ago, I posted a question on Facebook asking my friends to name a TV show they wouldn't mind watching in the physical presence of Jesus. Out of 23 comments only two named reality TV shows and those two shows were Shark Tank and House Hunters. The rest named shows from the 80s and 90s. So, what does that say about the quality of TV today?  What does that say about how God would feel about what we are watching? Why are we supporting and watching the very thing that displeases God?

As children of God, we are commanded to stand firm on God's word and maintain his standard but sometimes we lose focus and fall prey to satan's clever ploy to distract us from his wicked agenda by entertaining us through ungodly means. We foolishly promote his wickedness by increasing the ratings each time we tune in. We help satan gain TV ad sponsors with those same ratings. We make him rich from the acquired TV ads. We encourage Reality TV stars, music artists, actors and actresses to continue in their lifestyle of sin whenever we watch, buy, listen to and/or "Facebook like" their blasphemous and abominable work. We help them sink farther into their lifestyle of sin when we add them to our "christian" albums and movies by using their name and status for our own personal gain. We give satan free advertisement whenever we have online Scandal, Empire, Power and Being Mary Jane parties. We do all of this even though the word of God tells us to Abstain from all appearance of evil. (I Thessalonians 5:22) And then we have the nerve to complain about the world going to hell in a handbasket!!!

Long story short, anytime we support anything that displeases God, we are supporting what he hates...SIN! I know you are probably thinking, "If I quit watching everything that displeases God, I won't be able to watch any TV." And you are right, the vast majority of television shows, movies and music contain a hideous amount of profanity, sex and lured material. And guess what! We are part of the blame. According to gallup.com, 77% of Americans identify as Christian, still we have the LEAST amount of influence in the world today. Over the years, we have conformed to the ways of the world. We accept whatever they gave to us instead of taking a stand and boycotting anything that we knew would displease God. Imagine how much better this world would be if we would have continued to take a stand without wavering. God knew in the last days men would become lovers of themselves; choosing to satisfy the flesh rather than stand strong in his word so he sent a prophetic warning through his word. I had to repent for my part and I encourage you to do the same.It is vital we do not become complacent in this world. We are to be of this world but not in it. We must pay CLOSE attention to what we are allowing in our homes via the television, music, conversation and even friends.

The next time you are watching reality TV, a movie or even listening to music...ask yourself "What does me watching this say about me or my commitment to God?'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Simple (January Issue)

Life Simple- February Issue

Life Simple - March

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs