Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Death at a Funeral


I usually don't write critiques about movies but a recent experience inspired me to do so. Last week, my husband and I enjoyed some quality time together while the kids were away. I was in the mood for some serious comedy so we went to the movies. We decided to go see "Death at A Funeral". We didn't pay close attention to who was actually in the movie. We just wanted to laugh and enjoy some mindless entertainment. But how many of you know that ignorance is bliss?

The movie was ok. It had a couple of funny scenes but it was hard to enjoy because of the profanity. Even though I've never heard him profess Christ, I was particularly disappointed in Danny Glover, whose character cursed left and right. I was raised to look up to my elders because they represented wisdom and maturity. I know..I know.. it was just a movie right? Wrong!

You see a lot of these actors and actresses appear on our Kids Choice Awards and youth forums. These kids look up to them. So what does it say to our children when their role models portray "not so ideal" characters? Are we telling them that it is okay to lower your standard to make a funny, a dollar or gain notoriety?

It is possible to produce good, clean television without the nudity, profanity and violence. A couple of years ago, I portrayed the character of Jade. My onstage husband wasn't my real life husband. Yet and still, we were able to play a very convincing part and he never even touched me. To this day, I still have people asking me about Jade and Michael because for them, the characters were real. What's my point you ask? Hollywood has brainwashed us into believing that unless sex and vulgarity is included in our television, it's not worth watching. I beg to differ.I consider Rated R movies to be a direct project from satan who is determined to contaminate the minds of our people. He plays on our weakest link....the flesh.

Death at a Funeral could have been a hilarious family movie because it was written to portray how animated families can become whenever there a death in the family. I have past funeral stories of my own that will keep me writing for years (lol). Creativity is more than an expensive set and all star cast, it is strategically producing movies that will entertain viewers without opening doors for destruction.

Anyone who produces movies that requires parental discretion show blatant disregard to their responsibility to protect our children and families from becoming victim to violence, abuse and estrangement. The phrase "sex sells" is never completed. It should say, "Sex Sells your Soul". Profanity Produces Perversion." "Violence Violates Victims."

If You Don't Like it. Don't Read it.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Simple (January Issue)

Life Simple- February Issue

Life Simple - March

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs