Monday, June 10, 2013

Possible Reasons Why You Are Suffering From Hair Loss

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way an expert in hair care. This post is my testimony of my hair journey's trials and triumphs. Please talk to your doctor and/or beautician for any professional advice.

I washed my hair this morning and I am so happy with how much my hair health has improved I decided to write a blog post that will hopefully encourage those of you are suffering from hair loss.

I started experiencing severe hair shedding after I had my first daughter. I couldn't figure out what was going on. Was my hormones, heat damage, stress or a combination of all three? I spoke with both my doctor and beautician. They gave me advice on what to do but nothing seemed to work. My hair would only grow below my ears before breaking off again. I continued to fight on/off  hair battles for the next 15 years!!! What was even worse, I started losing hair in the top center of my scalp. I did everything I knew to do. I drank plenty of water. I watched what I ate. I avoided hair styles that required a lot of heat. I eventually started wearing extensions to cover my frustrating embarrassment.

Put a Pin for a Minute Myth Moment: Most people believe African American women wear weaves and wigs because they have no hair. While this might be true for some, it is definitely not fact for everyone. Not only are extensions and wigs a great way to protect your natural hair but they allow flexibility to changes up styles, lengths and hair color. I started wearing extensions to protect my hair but now I love the conveniences and options they give me to switch it up without the worry.

Now back to the blog...


In the summer of 2010 and out of frustration, I decided to cut off my. My plan was to keep short and sassy but then my hair started growing... rapidly. I thought "Hm...maybe all of my hair worries are over." Then in 2011, my little sister passed away and before I knew it, I found myself doing the Donald Trump swirl to hide the thin spot in the top of my head.

That's when I decided; Enough was enough! It was time to dig a little deeper and do some research. So I prayed and asked God to guide me...



While I already knew stress played a huge role in my hair loss, I also discovered certain medications were big factors as well. Certain pain medicines, including the ibuprofen I took for migraines was one of the reasons why my hair shedded so much. When I switched medicine, much of my shedding came to an automatic cease. I also realized that my hair was paying an unhealthy price because of my frugal nature when buying hair care products. I had to learn the hard way that you truly get what you pay for. I started investing in my hair by buying products that would help to heal, strengthen and reinvigorate my hair. Today, my hair is longer and healthier than ever. Will I ever stop wearing extensions? I doubt it. The perks are far to great besides it feels good to know that when I do wear my natural hair, no one can tell the difference!

May 2013

 Listed below are some possible reason for hair loss. Please take the time to click on the resource link included for more information. And remember Don't Give Up. There so many solutions to hair loss. You just have to find the one that best suits your needs!
  1. Stress
    • Stress is a part of life but it doesn't have to rule your life. Grief was a huge stressor for me and it was affecting me mentally and physically. It took prayer, support and my making the decision to not let our loss consume me. God showed me how to convert my pain into purpose. I encourage you to do the same.
  2. Medicines (Before you stop taking your medicine ALWAYS ALWAYS talk to your doctor first!)
    • According  Web MD (Drug Induced Hair Loss) Many different types of drugs are thought to cause hair loss, including:
    • Acne medications containing vitamin A (retinoids)
    • Antibiotics and antifungal drugs
    • Antidepressants   
    • Birth control pills
    • Anticlotting drugs
    • Cholesterol-lowering drugs  
    • Drugs that suppress the immune system  
    • Drugs that treat breast cancer  
    • Epilepsy drugs (anticonvulsants)
    • High blood pressure medications (anti-hypertensives), such as beta-blockers, ACE inhibitors, and diuretics
    • Hormone replacement therapy  
    • Mood stabilizers  
    • Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)  
    • Parkinson's disease drugs  
    • Steroids
    • Thyroid medications
    • Weight loss drugs
    • Excessive Heat and Chemicals
    • Cheap Hair Care Products
    • Be careful when choosing cheaper hair care products. Read the label and watch out for ingredients that can strip your hair of the essentials oils it needs to stay shiny and strong.
  3. Medical Problems
    • Talk to your doctor. There may be an underlying cause to why you are suffering from hair loss. He/She will be able to perform the tests needed to determine this.
  4. Malnutrition Top 10 Foods for Healthy Hair
    • We overlook the role a healthy diet plays in maintaining healthy hair. You are what you eat. Healthy eating leads to healthy hair. 
    • Lisa Drayer, New York Nutritionist says."The nutrients you eat today help fortify the hair follicle -- from which each strand is born -- and the scalp that surrounds it. "Healthier follicles? Healthier hair. Healthier scalp? Healthier hair!" 
  5. Questionable Beauticians
    • If your beautician is doing more harm than good on your hair...I have just one thing to say "SWITCH".
Every person is different so it's important to choose a hair regime that works for you. No one knows your body like you do. Sometimes it helps to do the research.
 
Praying this post has helped to make living your life a little easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Simple (January Issue)

Life Simple- February Issue

Life Simple - March

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs