Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Clyde

Last week my kids and I were out and about running errands. While at the traffic light, my ten year old daughter said out of the blue "Mommy, we've got to pray for that man." I asked, "What man?" She said "That man." And she pointed to a homeless gentleman sitting on the curb holding a sign that said. “Homeless. Please Help. God Bless.” I didn't have any groceries in the car and because I never give money for fear of supporting a habit, I told my daughter that we would just have to pray for him. The light seemed to stay on red forever. I kept hearing a voice say, drive over to him. After the third time, I relented and said "Okay Lord" The light turned red and I drove into the restaurant parking lot behind him.

I didn't know what I was going to say as I walked up to him. When I got closer, I noticed that he was an older gentleman. He looked more dehydrated from life than the heat. He looked up at me and then looked down almost as if I wasn't there. That’s when I offered to buy him a meal if he would follow me in the restaurant. He said, "Mam that would be a waste. I haven't eaten a real meal in so long. My stomach can't handle food." I suggested that he eat soup or fruit from the bar. Once again, he said "Mam, don't waste your money on me." I told him it wouldn't be a waste. Finally, he agreed and followed me into the restaurant. I noticed that he was carrying military bags....that hurt me.

As we walked through the door, I immediately saw the looks on the customer’s and the employee’s faces. I turned and introduced myself while we waited in line. He told me that his name was Clyde and that he had been down on his luck for quite some time. I suggested some places that he could go for assistance to which he responded "They can't help me." When it was our turn the cashier asked with a bigoted look, "Uhhh are you two together?" Clyde immediately dropped his head and shoved his hands in his pockets. I could feel Clyde's embarrassment so with a stern tone and a smile, I let her know that I was treating him to a meal but I couldn't stay however I expected for them to take good care of him. I couldn't but notice Clyde regaining his composure. That made him feel human.

While she rang up the meal, we continued our conversation. Clyde proceeded to tell me that nothing that he had tried seemed to work. I asked him if he'd ever considered Jesus. I guaranteed him that if he tried God first everything else would fall into place. As I signed for his meal, I noticed one of the employees biting her bottom lip and shaking her head in agreement at Clyde. I thought to myself "finally they get it". That’s when Clyde smiled. Then he took my hand, bowed, kissed it and said thank you. I said you’re welcome and left.

It is my hope that this read will inspire all of you to start each day in hope of changing the life of someone else rather than your own. The looks from the people in the parking lot and the restaurant troubled me. This person was clearly in need so what if his situation was result of bad decisions. We've all made them. The only difference between us and them is that someone gave us a second chance.

B's Ending Prayer
Father God in the name of Jesus, I pray that you will keep our eyes open to the needs of others. Help us to discern when we should move and when we should stay and pray. Please forgive us for acting selfishly and not helping when we could have. Give us your words to speak when encouraging someone else. Thank you for using us as your vessel. In Jesus name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Simple (January Issue)

Life Simple- February Issue

Life Simple - March

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs